Hull woman cited after Cohasset crash

Cohasset Police responded to a motor vehicle crash Friday at the intersection of Route 3A and Beechwood Street. Police responded to numerous 911 calls at about 11:30 a.m. that reported a crash with injuries.

Arriving officers found four people injured and two cars with heavy damage to the front ends, Cohasset PD said in a Facebook post.

Witnesses said that the driver of a 2016 Nissan SUV was heading north on 3A when the driver of a southbound 2018 Hyundai sedan cut in front of the Nissan in an effort to turn left onto Beechwood Street from 3A. The vehicles collided in the intersection.

Three people from the Nissan and a single occupant of the Hyundai were transported to South Shore Hospital by ambulances from Cohasset, Hingham, and Scituate. None of the injuries were reported as life threatening.

Both vehicles were towed and the driver of the Hyundai, a 23-year-old Hull female, was cited for failing to grant right of way. She was not named in the Facebook post.

Student threatens firearms use at Hull High, but no weapon found

Superintendent Michael F. Devine and Hull High School Principal Nicole Nosek report that Hull Public Schools leaders acted swiftly after a student reportedly uttered threats against the school.
On Wednesday at approximately 9 a.m., it was reported to the high school main office that a student had made a threat to harm others with a firearm. The studentwas identified, and the Hull Police Department was called immediately.
A search revealed no weapons, and the police department took over from there. The administration will take the proper actions with regard to this student, according to a statement issued by the school district this morning, but there was no immediate threat and no danger to the high school. At no point was there a direct threat to students or staff. The school day is continuing without interruption.
"What matters most in this unfortunate situation is that our students, faculty and staff are not in danger," Devine said. "The policies and procedures we have in place for these kinds of situations were followed correctly, and the situation was resolved without further escalation or disruption to our school community."

Another trooper indicted in overtime fraud probe

A former lieutenant in the Massachusetts State Police was indicted Wednesday for collecting more than $12,000 in overtime pay for shifts he did not work as part of the ongoing investigation into overtime abuses at the law enforcement agency.

Former Lt. David Wilson, 57, of Charlton, was indicted in federal court on one charge of embezzlement from an agency receiving federal funds. He had previously been arrested and charged by a criminal complaint on June 27.

Wilson was a member of the State Police's Troop E enforcing traffic laws along the Massachusetts Turnpike, and served as the officer-in-charge of several overtime shifts, according to the U.S. Attorney's office.

Troopers also patrol state property in Hull, such as the Nantasket Reservation and Fort Revere. 

In 2016, Wilson earned approximately $230,000 and worked 170 overtime shifts for the Accident and Injury Reduction Effort program, which targeted vehicles speeding on the turnpike, according to the indictment.

Prosecutors allege that Wilson took home $12,450 for overtime shifts he either didn't work, or left early, concealing the fraud by submitting citations that were either never issued or were issued during hours outside the overtime shifts.

No date for Wilson's arraignment has been scheduled. Six troopers thus far have been charged by the U.S. Attorney in connection with the overtime abuse scandal. Trooper Gregory Raftery, 47, of Westwood, has already pleaded guilty, and suspended Trooper Kevin Sweeney, 40, of Braintree, has agreed to plead guilty, U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling's office said.

 

 

State raises West Nile Virus alert to 'moderate'

State public health officials have raised the statewide risk level for West Nile Virus from low to moderate and are urging everyone to protect themselves against mosquito bites.

According to the Department of Public Health, it's only the second time that officials have raised the risk level statewide.

Officials said there have not been any human West Nile cases reported, but noted that the recent hot and humid weather, combined with frequent rainfall, have provided "perfect conditions for mosquito species carrying West Nile Virus to breed," according to Public Health Commissioner Monica Bharel.

According to the state, West Nile can infect people of all ages, but people over age 50 are at higher risk for severe disease. WNV is usually transmitted to humans through the bite of an infected mosquito, state officials say, and while most people infected with the virus will have no symptoms, they may include fever and flu-like illness.

"I strongly encourage everyone to keep using insect repellant and to be especially aware of mosquito activity at dusk and dawn, when the risk of being bitten by mosquitoes is greatest. Move indoors if you are getting bitten," said Bharel.